With sport, young people in difficulties can develop more self-esteem, self-confidence and a better communication.
The motivation and pleasure through an attractive sport like surf, allow young people to open up to others, to better control their violence, and learn to integrate within society.
The applications received by the Tura’i mataare Tahiti Surf School from the education and social workers and form the various social help entities show that there is a strong need to integrate Sport into their educational programs.
- Valorize young people by practicing a sports activity they usually do not have easy access to (travel to the surf spots, expensive equipment, etc).
- Increase their self-esteem and confidence
- Encourage to develop skills to live in society.
- Improve the behavior of young people between them through a common goal.
- To channel their energy through the practice of surfing, through the respect for the environment and the respect of the rules of society.
- To lead some of them to develop a real passion for the practice of surfing or bodyboarding, that will help them to fight against idleness and delinquency.
Around 79 young people are welcomed each year between 7 and 18 years old. They’re coming from the different districts (1,2,3,4,5, and 6), as well as from the different social houses of French Polynesia : the cours Bon Pasteur, the Te Aho Nui home, and the SOS Children’s Village of Papara.
The young beneficiaries are all followed up by the Department of social affairs.
Lessons are given at the Papenoo spots on the east coast of Tahiti and the surf trip is organized in the Tuamutu at the end of the year.
The surf lessons in Tahiti are supervised by instructors that got State Certificate of sports instructor 1 ° and 2nd degree, as well by specialist educators during the surf trip at the end in the Tuamotu islands.
A behaviour evaluation is run after each period of lessons (school holidays) during a meeting with the surf instructors and the TS in charge of the children. Another evaluation is run for the technical quality of their surfing by each surf instructors.
At the end of the lessons period, a diploma is awarded to each student.